Monday, November 15, 2010

"If you can make a woman laugh you can make her do anything"

Most of the time, when someone asks me what I look for in a man, I tend to say a good sense of humor. If a guy can't make me laugh my ass off, I probably won't enjoy being in his presence. The good news for men is, I laugh at pretty much anything, so it's not all that difficult. I went into this post hoping I would be able to determine whether Irish guys or American guys are more funny, but I just can't come to that sort of a conclusion. Most of my experience with American men is that they have a sense of humor that not everybody really understands, and that's usually the best part about it. Half the time I observe my male friends hanging out together, they're not saying much that's really worth listening to, and I really don't think your everyday passer-by would be even remotely entertained. But that's what I love about my male friends' ability to make me laugh. They're usually not trying to put on some sort of a show (USUALLY being the key word here). For the most part, they're shooting the sh*t and doing/saying things that they find funny for their own personal enjoyment. Which, if you sit in a room listening to them for long enough, you'll either grow to love or hate. Growing up surrounded by my brother and male cousins, finding myself hanging out with my first boyfriend's best friends way too often in high school, living with two guys for two years in college, and now coming to Ireland to, for whatever reason, find myself surrounded by a bunch of American guys, I really didn't have a choice but to learn to love it. Irish men, on the other hand, can make me laugh just as hard, if not harder (they do have those cute, silly accents and say things like 'brilliant,' 'craic' and 'mate,' so how could they not put a smile on your face? But I think the Irish are consciously being funny, telling a story that the crowd listening to will be sure to get a kick out of. Americans are funny, but they're just funny by nature. The Irish, on the other hand, actually have a skill of coming up with some of the most hilarious comments, comebacks and stories that you don't either love or hate ... you just love. So, cheers to you, Irish guys, for actually putting a little effort into making a girl smile.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't whip any carpets from beneath anyone! You're both allowed to be funny, Frankie Nugg. Don't start getting jealous.

    ReplyDelete