Monday, November 15, 2010

Behind every great man is an even greater woman

So, I know this blog is supposed to compare Irish men and American men, but I figure a man is nothing without the women in his life, so I might as well take a look at Irish women and American women. Now, I could sit here and pick apart American women for days (except for me, of course, because I am obviously perfect), but instead of boring you with all of their negative qualities (and yes, I am generalizing, but I guess that's the point of this entire blog), I figured I'd focus on the basics. Irish women, from what I've observed and experienced since living in Dublin, are basically the definition of down ass chicks. They're some of the nicest people I have ever met, they're usually ready to just chill out, watch a rugby (or football) game and throw back a few cold ones, they're not afraid to come up to you and shoot the sh*t and they wouldn't find it odd if you did the same. They're bold, they're honest, they have a great sense of humor, they're laid back and they know how to have a good time. This, unfortunately, is not always the case for the stereotypical American woman, who tends to be stuck-up, judgmental, self-absorbed and, well ... what's the opposite of funny? Don't get me wrong, I have some amazing female friends at home who fit the criteria of how I just described some of the best Irish women I've met since being here, but I'd consider myself lucky. Where I go to school in New York, for every down-to-earth, fun-loving girl I know, there are about 8 more running around with their sorority sisters (who they paid to be friends with), wearing dresses tight and short enough to see their cash and prizes, drinking nothing but a vodka because beer has too many calories, eating nothing but salad because food has too many calories, and, well, I guess I made my point. And, again, there are exceptions to everything, because I've certainly seen quite a few Irish girls running around with their asses hanging out, but I haven't gotten the vibe that it's the norm. But this isn't just about how short a girls skirt can get. In all honesty, half the time I meet an American girl, I stop caring about whatever it is she's talking about fairly early into our conversation. Irish women, however, keep me on my toes, make me laugh, seem genuinely interested in what the conversation is about and are always unbelievably friendly. So, if a man truly is only as great as the woman who stands behind him, then Irish men, you're pretty f*cking great. Although, I will admit that this experience could be completely skewed based on the fact the Irish girls usually think I'm from Manhattan, which for some reason they think makes me pretty damn cool, and I have gotten to the point where I am too tired of explaining what I mean by "upstate New York," so I usually just go on letting them think I'm pretty damn cool.

1 comment:

  1. interesting...I agree with the American girls, but I still think that generally they are way better looking. So maybe eating salads and dressing in tight dresses is good? Or maybe I am just too judgmental myself. What about the Irish president who happens to be female. Is there a good guy behind her or is she just great by herself? explain please

    ReplyDelete